Wednesday, June 18, 2008

21 Days of Gratitude: Day 3

So, today I made myself get out of bed and go to work. There are days when calling in sick is just the easiest thing to do, especially when the weather's so nice. But I've been very good so far this month, so I trudged through the morning and by the time I got to my office I was glad I made the effort.

Nothing spectacular happened at work, but I'm staying on top of my workload and feeling pretty productive. Today marked my 1 year anniversary with the Department of Retirement Systems. I've been working for the state of Washington since July of 1994, and I have to say DRS has been the best agency to work for.

I still have many great friends from my two previous agencies, so it's not like they were awful places to work, but as far as my actual job duties, this is the first agency where I've truly enjoyed what I do. With my previous job duties, I wouldn't have fought the idea of staying home. I look forward to getting things done and I think a lot of it is because the people I work with and the atmosphere of the office is so laidback, that you want to get your work done so you can spend time being laidback. Does that make sense?

I am moving from training row to my new team's section in the next couple of weeks. I actually like moving because it gives me a chance to set things up in a better semblance of order. In 12 months I've managed to amass tons of files from fear I might need something from them. Now I know I can purge them and start anew. For that I am grateful.

My new team is an interesting cast of characters. I'm the type that gets along with anyone, so I'm not worried about fitting in. I can find you to be the most annoying being alive, but as long you don't impede my progress in getting things done or getting where I need to go, we're cool. It amazes me sometimes how much people thrive on drama or let the smallest things rattle them.

I'm not a workaholic by any means, but I certainly know how to look like one. I learned to fly under the radar in my previous offices, avoiding cliques and I always manage to always be at my desk when the bosses come around. Sometimes my cubicle becomes party central, with my coworkers gathered 'round. I'm a bit of a girl scout, try to be ready for anything, so people know to come to me if they need something like a nail file, floss, safety pins, hair clips, etc. But I generally try to avoid office gossip and if it's unavoidable, I ask subtly pointed questions that make the person start wondering why they thought the information they shared was worth sharing in the first place. Sometimes my curiousity does get the better of me, but if it does, I don't go for secondhand information, I just go straight to the source.

So what does this have to do with my subject? I don't know. It was just something to write about. I have an awesome workplace, with great people I get along with, and for that I'm grateful. I enjoy my work and the clients I get to serve appreciate my efforts, and for that I'm grateful. My trainer is a wonderful person who is generous with her time and praise and for that I'm grateful.

The majority of DRS employees are housed in one building, which is rare for a state agency. I was used to being out in a field office, just lugnut on the wheel of a giant vehicle. Now I feel like an integral part of a well-oiled machine. Where at the other agencies I felt there was us against them attitude between the different divisions, at DRS I feel a great sense of camaraderie and teamwork. Who knows, maybe it's still the infatuation phase and I'm just a giddy kid in love but that's okay. This is a nice change from feeling jaded and cynical about working for the state.

And for that I am grateful.

No comments: