Tuesday, June 24, 2008

21 Days of Gratitude: Day 9

Tag...I'm it!

Here's how you play: Once you've been tagged you have to write a blog with 10 weird, random, facts, habits or goals about yourself, at the end choose 10 people to be tagged, list their names and why you tagged them. Don't forget to leave them a comment saying (You're It!) and to go read your blog. You cannot tag the person that tagged you so since you can't tag me back let me know when you are done so that I can go read YOUR blog answers.

(I've been tagged before, so some of these may be repeats, but I'm trying to tie them in with my 21 Days of Gratitude theme. If I tag you, you can share whatever 10 things you want.)


10 Weird THINGS About Me (For Which I'm Grateful)

1. The ability to fall asleep anywhere, anytime. There are nights insomnia kicks in, and those nights just kill me, but for the most part I can nod off whenever I need to. I don't particularly need to be comfortable or in cushy surroundings. This comes in handy for such things as long car rides or camping. Not so much at staff meetings.

2. I love making lists. To do lists, grocery lists, packing lists, gift lists, project lists, etc. Organizing lists mainly. One of my favorite books is "Checklists for Life." It doesn't make me anal. In fact, sometimes quite the opposite. But they do give me an opportunity to organize my thoughts and pick a starting point.

3. I'm very proud of the fact even though it's been over 30 years since I left the Philippines, I can still read, understand and speak my native language. I thank my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles & cousins who didn't let me forget. Like Verizon says, "It's the network." But Verizon has nothing on Filipinos.

4. I am the proud owner of 10 going on 11 Webkinz: Paddy the Google (Platypus-like), Penny the Pig, Diner the Black Bear, Budweiser the Clydesdale, Moo Baca the Cow, Rainier the Raccoon, Cerise the Pink Poodle, Heffalump the Elephant and Naga, the Pink Dragon. Mum just bought me a Cheeky Monkey I've yet to name. Yes, I play kids games online, but it's more than that. Mum go Gareth hooked and so it's a family hobby now. There aren't a lot of hobbies the three of us can share. I can't crochet or knit to save my life and I doubt Gareth will ever take up calligraphy. In fact I'd bet on it. But we all enjoy Webkinz and the silly online games that actually give us mental exercise.

5. I'd rather shop for books or office supplies than clothes. In fact, after Borders or Office Depot, Home Depot, Lowes and the Container Store would top the list before any department store. I guess I can't be accused of being superficial or materialistic that way, can I? That's not to say I don't appreciate a nice pair of heels or that I've stopped looking for the perfect purse, but they pale in comparison to the call of ink and paper.

6. I feel suffocated if I dont stick a foot out from under the covers. Gareth calls it my snorkel-foot. There's something liberating about it, especially when the rest of me is warm and cozy under a down comforter. Weird, I know. What's to be grateful about? It's a fact that never fails to make people chuckle when I share this little secret. And when I meet someone who does the same thing we bond instantly.

7. When I let myself remember something that wasn't exactly a shining moment in my life (said or did something rude or stupid) I berate myself out loud with, "Stupid, Gen!." It certainly helps that this only happens when I'm alone (like in my car or in the shower) otherwise people would think I have Tourette's or something. But I seem to remember these things when I'm feeling pretty cocky, so I think it happens to keep me humble and grounded.

8. I started a Happy Friday ritual at work. Every Friday, I march to my coworker's cubicle and brace myself at its entrance and jump in the air and kick my heels together. The first time I did this, it was just a few weeks after I started and it shocked my new coworker speechless before she fell out of her chair laughing. It was completely spontaneous but it convinced her I wasn't the prim and proper, stick in the mud I'm sure she thought I was. Ever since then, I've gotten a few other coworkers to practice this ritual with me every week.

9. Only as an adult have I eaten french fries WITH my burger. When I was younger, I had to finish the fries first before eating the burger. What makes this something I'm grateful for? To know I can still change, and find new things to enjoy. Was that too big a leap? Oh well, it is MY blog.

10. I can accomplish more things when I am under pressure. This could just be a better way of saying I'm a procrastinator. I'm better now because of my lists :) but sometimes knowing I work better under pressure instills me with a false sense of confidence when I am under the gun. Or maybe it's not a false sense. When it's a challenge I know I can beat, it just makes me more determined. Clock ticking? Bring it.

I tag: Phedre. Laura. Gareth. Kuya. Mark. Ces. Meeh-shelle. Helen. lil_bit. Joseph. Helluva Mrs. S.

No comments: